In an emergency, who do I call?

Emergencydial 110

If you are involved in or witness a crime, accident, or other police matter, connect to the 24-hour police department by dialing 110. Give the operator your name and explain what happened and where it happened. You may also contact one of the many local koban (mini-police stations) throughout Tokyo. Most neighborhoods have koban, where police handle a wide range of activities, including patrolling neighborhoods, filling out reports, tracking lost and found items, and giving directions.

Fire/Ambulance—dial 119

To report an injury, fire, or severe sickness, dial 119 for the 24-hour fire department. Give the operator your name and explain the nature of the emergency and the location.


NOTE: 110 and 119 have English-speaking staff and are available 24 hours.


Other Important Phone Numbers

U.S. Embassy:    03-3224-5000

Tokyo English Life Line:    03-5774-0992   (M–Sat 9–4/16:00, 7–11/19–23:00)

Tokyo Metropolitan Health and Medical Information Center: 03-5285-8181

Emergency Translation Hotline: 03-5285-8185 (languages: English/Chinese/Korean/Thai/Spanish)


How to Make an Emergency Call:

Speak clearly and slowly.

If possible, enlist the aid of a Japanese speaker in placing the call. If the operator doesn’t understand English, these phrases will be helpful.

Kyukyusha o yonde kudasai. (Please send an ambulance.)

Kaji desu. (There is a fire.)

Keikan o yonde kudasai. (Please send a policeman.)

Watashi no namae wa – – – – – desu. (My name is – – – – -.)

Watashi no jusho wa – – – – – desu. (My address is – – – – – .)

Watashi no denwa bango wa – – – – – ban desu. (My phone number is – – – – – .)